I recently finished up a Christmas advent calendar for my niece. Using the same pattern as my Thanksgiving countdown, I used fabric from two collections for a bright and cheerful Christmas version.
I added a red mini pom-pom trim below the numbers for a fun effect, although I didn't take into account how difficult it would be to sew on. Lots of slow sewing to make sure it was securely attached.
For the holly leaves I used scraps and the same buttons from my niece's cherry dress.
The binding was a perfect last minute find at my local quilt shop. Silly me didn't get binding fabric when I bought the other fabrics, but this bias stripe in red and aqua from the Hello Darling collection was the perfect finishing touch. It reminds me of striped Christmas candy. :)
Pattern: Quilted Advent Calendar by Sew Sweet Violet (altered for larger pockets)
- Multi color snowflakes: The Cookie Exchange by Sweetwater for Moda
- All others: North Woods by Kate Spain for Moda
- Background: Mochi Dot Unbleached Linen by Moda (#32911-11)
- Backing: North Woods by Kate Spain for Moda
- Binding: Hello Darling by Bonnie & Camille for Moda
1/2" white cotton twill tape and red mini pom-pom trim found at Joann's
Stamp set and fabric ink: found at Hobby Lobby (use a coupon!)