Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Feed Company BOM: Final Four

I finished up the final four blocks over the weekend. Lots of down time :)

[click any photo to enlarge]

I asked if I could put my wedding year instead of our town, and they said yes! I'm so thrilled with the result. I just ordered the coordinating quilt label, you can find it here. I hope to have the quilt top finished by summer. I can't wait to see it all together.

Friday, May 8, 2015

WIP: Fair Isle and Mom's quilt

A few works in progress shots of the two quilts I'm working on at the moment.

Fair Isle fir trees

Mom's Snowblossoms

I have my moments where there's absolutely no motivation (actually, there's been a lot of that lately...) but I really want to get both of these quilt tops done by summer. So here's hoping motivation will come back to me, and soon! :)

Friday, May 1, 2015

Feed Company BOM progress

I thought I'd post my progress on my Feed Company block of the month quilt. If you're doing the BOM too you'll notice I haven't done as much embroidery as the original examples and a few of the blocks I changed up the colors and stitches. I decided to only do the outlines and a few of the design elements, to save on time. I'm liking the minimalist look on these blocks. I haven't gotten to the two April blocks yet and the final two blocks will be arriving in a few weeks. I hope to start cutting into my fabric soon as I am trying to get as many quilts as possible done (at least the quilt top finished) before the fall.

[Click on any picture to get a close up]

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

DIY Pressing Table

I made myself a pressing table a week or so ago. I saw the idea on Pinterest a long time ago and thought it would be awesome to not have to lug out my ironing board to press quilt blocks. So I've been watching for wooden TV trays at the thrift store ever since. I found one a few weeks ago for $4.99 so I bought it.
The tray had been painted before and was chipping, which didn't really matter to me since I was planning on painting it. It's really easy to make one of your own, you need the following materials:
  1. Wooden fold up TV tray
  2. Batting (I used a craft size package of Warm & Natural, it gave me two layers)
  3. Silver ironing board fabric (found by the yard in the utility fabric section)
  4. 100% cotton home decor weight fabric
  5. Staple gun & scissors
  6. Paint (optional)
After a good sanding, I used the same aqua spray paint from my vintage desk for the legs and bottom. I didn't bother painting the top since it would be covered. Of course, you don't have to paint yours. The original inspiration I found was unpainted. Then just staple everything in the following order: batting directly on wooden tray, then ironing board fabric and home decor fabric on top.
Easy as pie! I've been cutting up fabric so I can't wait to get sewing so I can use my little table. It will be so nice to have it by my machine so I can press my blocks without moving away from my machine.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Before & After: Vintage Sewing Desk

Remember that sewing desk from almost a year ago? Well, it's finally out of the garage! :)

{click to enlarge}
 I used the Rustoleum Furniture Transformations kit in Winter Fog for the desk. My husband was so nice and painted it for me. We only had enough for the exterior, both sides of the doors and their shelves. The interior we just gave a good cleaning and left it unpainted. We did need more paint for touch ups so I brought one of the shelves to get it color matched and then got a sample size in a flat finish. It's a teeny bit lighter but you'd never notice unless I point it out.

I found the prettiest blue glass knobs at Hobby Lobby and waited until they were half off to purchase four of them. All the other hardware is original and unpainted. I purposely did that because the new knobs had some brass on them so they matched the original hardware. My husband had to jimmy rig them a bit because of the free arm movement, but he made it possible. Just don't look inside. :)

 The thread racks were discolored so they got a few coats of aqua spray paint to freshen them up. It turned out to be an almost exact color match to the blue knobs. Makes me smile whenever I open the doors. :)

All that's left is to get my Singer 403A oiled up and then bolt it in.
Whoever owned this desk before definitely made good use of it. When I was cleaning it out prior to painting I found pins, needles, bobbins, thread, buttons, and velcro. I hope I make good use of it as much as its' previous owner. I can't wait to sew on it.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Fair Isle Poinsettias

I got my poinsettias done! I had to re-cut the middle strip for one of the blocks since it was 1/4" off but other than that we're good. My piecing is getting better and I'm feeling pretty good about the math I did for this quilt in two colors. I already sewed them into their rows. Next step: fir trees!

Linked up!

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Feed Company Block of the Month

I'm having lots of fun stitching up Sweetwater's newest block of the month featuring their new collection Feed Company.
When I saw it on their blog last year I knew I had to get it. It's my Christmas present from my husband (that I purchased while he was at work hehe) and I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

So far I got three of the blocks done and I'm working on the fourth. I'm on the fence with doing more embroidery, I've only done the borders so far. I'm toying with the idea of embroidering the letters, but I haven't decided yet. I figure I'll live with it for a bit and see if I want to add any more later. I'm already looking forward to next month's blocks. :)

If you missed out on this BOM keep an eye on their blog, they are having another BOM featuring their Christmas collection Holly's Tree Farm. I can't wait! I'm getting that one too. :)