Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wrapped up

The finished quilt, all washed up. The pictures and quotes softened up quite a bit, not as stiff anymore. The edges of the fabric blocks frayed a little, but that's the whole look of a ticker tape quilt.

Folded the quilt nicely and tied it with a pretty pearl ribbon.

This is the bag it went into and the pretty card I chose for her, I love how it's a 3D vase of pansies.

The card reads, "Pansies always stand for thoughts, so these have come your way to show that you are thought of with happiness today." And I wrote on the back, in the space provided, "Family ties are precious threads no matter where we roam, our love for each other is the thread that binds us. With love, your family and friends"

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The finished product

The quilt is done! All that's left is to wash it, let it dry then wrap it up all pretty. :)

Friday, July 15, 2011

More progress

I cut out all the photos, ironed them onto the fabrics and sewed all 18 of them onto the quilt. I also did a monogram, my first time ever doing an applique! Turned out good in my opinion, for a novice.

I also printed out all the quotes onto iron-on transfer paper, then ironed them onto various light colored fabrics. Overall there's 2 quotes of each: mother, sister and Scripture on strength.
I was even able to start a corner of the quilt tonight, so far so good. It's turning out beautiful!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Betty's Quilt - almost done!

Betty's quilt is turning out beautiful! I found the happiest fabric for the back of the quilt and a beautiful coordinating turquoise fabric for the binding. The front of the quilt is a plain white cotton, which is fine since there are so many colorful fabrics that were donated.

I even made a hand made label with the washing instructions on the back of it. The front was hand embroidered by me, I had my mom write the washing instructions since she has pretty handwriting.

I used a zig zag stitch for the binding, my first time using a decorative stitch on binding. I ended up having to redo some spots but it turned out great. I love the look of it, I'm even thinking of redoing the binding on Alex's quilt.

I was able to print out all the photos tonight on the special fabric. I'm going to give them 24 hours to dry before attaching them to the fabric and then sewing it all on the quilt.

The quilt is turning out fantastic!! I can't wait to get the photos on the quilt and see the finished product. She's going to love this. :)

Pack and Play Sheet

I made Alex a sheet for his pack and play since that's what he's been sleeping in since we've moved. I followed the directions exactly but what I didn't take into account is that we placed a couple of pieces of foam on top of the bottom floor piece, which makes it a little thicker. This was my first attempt and it fits perfectly if I take the foam out. But I'll be making another that is bigger so it accommodates the foam.

This is the fabric I chose for the sheet, it coordinates perfectly with the colors and theme of the pack and play.

There are a few tutorials out there but here is the one I used: Prudent Baby

New Sewing Machine...#2

So the Brother machine didn't work out. I got 3/4 of the way done with basting Betty's quilt when the thread tension gave up on me. I tried everything, even got a family friend who is a seamstress to look at it but nothing. I got so frustrated that I just returned it. Got myself another Singer machine a week or so ago and it sews beautifully. The basting of the quilt and binding is done, now it's just the fabrics and photos. It's turning out beautiful. :)