For my first attempt at roman shades I actually ended up making three for my large living room window (which I sadly didn't take a photo of). But for my second attempt I made this shade for my son's room/guest room. It's very white, but we intended to repaint his room in a softer yellow and white trim but then we moved so..oh well. It's just simple white on white stripes in a cotton with an old blackout curtain that I used as the lining. I had to Frankenstein the blackout liner since it wasn't wide enough but you wouldn't know from looking at it from the front.
They do have kits complete with instructions and supplies, I found some at Joann's Fabrics, but Martha Stewart's tutorial is really easy to follow too. Check it out here: MarthaStewart.com