Friday, October 31, 2014

My first quilt patch. Bonus: Happy Nevada Day!

I had to patch a quilt yesterday. Can you see it?
A little closer...how about now?
Did you spot it already?
Of course, being the one who fixed it I can spot it every time. But my hope is that with the busyness of the print it's not noticeable to anyone else unless it's pointed out or they get a closer look.

The hole is actually pretty small  so I originally thought I could just darn it with matching thread. Well both my machine and hand attempts failed, so I settled on a patch. The first patch was too big and went over the seam, making it very noticeable. So I unpicked my stitches for the umpteenth time and started again. After fiddling with getting it the right size and with the right angles, I was able to sew it on with tiny stitches. I went around it twice to make sure it would stay.

Funny thing is that the patch ended up in the shape of Nevada, my home state, and today is Nevada Day (happy 150th!). This is also the memory quilt for my second son, who was miscarried in Nevada. Coincidence? There's no such thing. God orchestrates it all and that little hole with that patch was meant to be there from the beginning. Now, regardless of where I live in the world I will always have a little piece of Nevada with me, to remind me of my home and my son.
 

Happy Nevada Day to my fellow Nevadans!

P.S. It's pronounced "Ne-vadd-a" not "Ne-vah-da." We natives are quite sensitive over that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment